|Language Worked in||Tamil|
|Birth Place||Vadugapatti, Theni, Tamil Nadu.|
|Education||M A Tamil|
|Favourite Cuisine||Indian Cuisine|
|Favourite Color||Black, White|
Vairamuthu was born to Ramaswamythevar and Angammal of Mettur in a middle-class family. When he was four, the village gave way to Vaigai Dam and the family moved to Vadugapatti village, community in Theni near Periyakulam.
* He started to write poems at the age of 7.
* In his school final exam in Tamil, Vairamuthu stood first in the entire Madurai District and won a silver cup.
* While studying in Pachyappa College, he was acclaimed as the best speaker and poet.
* His first book 'Vaigarai Megangal' was prescribed for study in the Women's Christian College while he was still a student.
* In inter-college competitions, he has won more than 20 prizes.
* His works have the underlying themes of humanism transcending barriers of space and race.
* According to him, moustaches are one of the identities of Tamils.
* He was introduced by Bharathiraja as a lyricist.
* On receiving invitation from the Russian Government, he visited Russia to participate in an Indian cultural event (1987).
* He has written more than 30 books.
* He has written more than 6000 songs.
* His songs are translated into Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Hindi.
* He took 8 hours to write 'Sangeedha Jadhi Mullai' song and 8 minutes to write 'Ettu Etta manusha Vazhkai' song.
* His book 'Aayiram Paadalgal', a collection of his best 1,000 songs, was released by Dr. Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi.
* 58 of his original poems from Tamil were translated by Balan Menonin, a Canadian, as 'A drop in Search of the Ocean: Best Poems of Vairamuthu' and it was released by Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
* He is the Tamil Nadu President of Indo-Russian Friendship Society.
* He holds the record of winning maximum number of National Film Award for Best Lyrics.
* He has opened Tamil schools in Bangkok, Canada and Hong Kong promoting Tamil children living there to develop an interest in learning the language.
* He has introduced some foreign poets and their works to Tamil in his 'Ella Nadhiyilum En Odum'.
* He made his book 'Kallikattu Idhihasam' waterproof and threw it away in Vaigai River, so as to preserve it.
* He has a habit of talking to Dr. M. Karunandhi over phone everyday by 7 AM.
* He likes walking and he wakes up at 5 AM.
* He gives higher priority to letters received from hospitals and prisons.
* American Library of Congress has recorded his poems in his voice and has preserved them along with the other precious literary works.
* Canada has released a Stamp in his honor.
* The Library of Congress has twenty-three books by him and two about him.
* Best Lyricist Award, Tamil Nadu State Government (1981, 1995, 1996, 2006, 2008)
* National Award (1986, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2003, 2011)
* Kalaimamani Award (1990)
* Padmashri (2003)
* Sahitya Akademi Award (2003)
* Bharathi Literature Prize
* Honorary Doctorate, Madurai Kamaraj University