Oyako-donburi (Chicken And Egg Over Rice) Recipe
Oyako-don literally means parent-and-child Donburi (chicken and the egg, get it?) or a Japanese rice bowl in which chicken, egg, green onions and other ingredients are simmered together and served on top of a big bowl of steaming hot rice.
- 1 To prepare: BOil plain White Rice. Mix (do not beat) Egg in a bowl lightly with Chopsticks or fork and set aside.
- 2 Cut boned Chicken (with or without skin, as preferred) into 1/4-inch (7.5mm) pieces. The Chicken should be raw, but if the purpose of making the dish is to use leftovers, cooked Chicken is fine, as is thin-sliced raw or cooked Pork or beef. The flavor is best if you start with raw meat.
- 3 Wash and clean Onion. Cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5cm) lengths. To cook:
- 4 Combine ingredients for sauce in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a gentle bOil over medium heat. Add Chicken and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add Onion and simmer 1 minute longer. Correct seasoning if necessary.
- 5 Stir the Egg and pour gently in a steady stream around the Chicken in the simmering sauce. Let the Egg spread naturally.
- 6 Do not stir. Keep heat at medium high Till the Egg starts to bubble at the edges. At this point, stir once.
- 7 The Egg will have almost set but will sTill be a little runny. Keep in mind that the high temperature of the Rice over which the Egg will be placed will do the final cooking. Do not let the Egg cook hard.
- 8 To assemble and serve: Put portions of hot Rice, 1 1/2 to 2 cups, into individual donburi bowls, or use deep soup bowls. With a large spoon, scoop a portion of the Egg topping and sauce and place on Rice.
- 9 Sauce will seep down into Rice, but the dish will not be soupy. Serve immediately.
Mangalorean Kori Rotti Mushroom Pepper Fry Dum Chicken Recipe. Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Marsala Sauce Wheat Germ Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes Cedar Planked Salmon Albondigas Butter Chicken The Best Meatloaf Cheese Omelette Grilled Lamb with Brown Sugar Glaze Honey Fried Chicken Chicken Tikka Masala Mughlai Chicken Potato in Bombay Duck More Non Vegetarian Recipes