Puran poli is a classical Marathi dish, which is a dessert served during auspicious occasions and during important festivals such as Holi, Padwa in Maharashtra. Although it resembles like a roti, a poli is actually very different. It is made mostly during holi when the bonfire is lit. The stuffing is known as puran and the outer cover is known as poli. The puran is made by boiling chickpea lentils with a pinch of turmeric for color.
|Yellow Curry||300 gram||273.6||16.8|
|Cardamom Powder||1 teaspoon||7.6||0.02|
|All purpose flour||150 gram||532.5|
|Warm Water||1 cup|
- 1 BOil dal in plenty of Water Till soft but not broken.
- 2 Drain in a colander for 10-15 minutes.
- 3 Pass through an Almond grater little by little Till all dal is grated.
- 4 Mash Jaggery Till lumps break. Mix well into dal.
- 5 Put mixture in a heavy saucepan and cook Till a soft lump is formed Take care to stir continuously, so as not to charr.
- 6 Keep aside. Mix Ghee, all all purpose flour, add enough Water to make a soft pliable dough.
- 7 Take a morsel sized ball of dough, roll into a 4" round.
- 8 Place same sized ball of filling in centre, life all round and seal.
- 9 Reroll carefully to a 6" diameter round.
- 10 Roast on warm griddle Till golden brown.
- 11 Repeat other side. Take on serving plate.
- 12 Apply a tsp. of Ghee all over top. Note: The Water drained from bOiling dal is used to make the amti. ( a thin curry made using black masala, Garam Masala and some mashed dal.)