Tandoori Chicken Recipe
Tandoori Chicken is a dish of Mughlai cuisine. It was popular among the noble families and Nawab families. This dish became popular with the ordinary Muslims of South Asia as the Mughal Empire declined. The tandoori chicken at Moti Mahal so impressed the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, that he made it a regular at official banquets. Visiting dignitaries who enjoyed tandoori chicken included American Presidents Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy, Soviet leaders Nikolai Bulganin and Nikita Khrushchev, the King of Nepal, and the Shah of Iran. The fame of tandoori chicken led to many derivatives, such as chicken tikka (and eventually the Indian dish popularized in Britain, chicken tikka masala), commonly found in menus in Indian restaurants all over the world.
|Tandoori Masala Paste||4 tablespoon||45|
- 1 Using a sharp knife or scissors, remove the skin from the Chicken and trim off any excess fat. Using a fork, beat the flesh at random.
- 2 Cut the Chicken in half down the center and through the breast. Cut each piece in half again. Make a few deep gashes diagonally into the flesh.
- 3 Mix the Yogurt with the masala paste and Salt. Spread the Chicken evenly with the Yogurt mixture, spreading some in to the gashes.
- 4 Leave for at least 2 hours but preferable overnight. Preheat the oven to its hottest setting. Place the marinated Chicken quarters in a wire rack in a deep baking tray.
- 5 Spread the Chicken pieces with any excess marinade, reserving a little for basting halfway through the cooking time.
- 6 Melt the Ghee and pour over the Chicken quarters to seal the surface. This helps to keep the center of the Chicken moist during the roasting time.
- 7 Cook in the oven for 10 minutes at the maximum heat, then remove, leaving the oven switched on.
- 8 Baste the Chicken pieces with the remaining marinade. Return to the oven and switch off the heat.
- 9 Leave the Chicken in the oven for about 15-20 minutes without opening the door. Serve on a bed of Lettuce and garnish with the Lemon and Onion Rings.