Fish Molee Recipe
|Recipe Type||Curry, Lunch|
Fish moolie or fish molee (meen molee) is a spicy fish and coconut dish of possible Portuguese and/or Kerala origin. It is common in India and Malaysia. During the times of the British Empire is was spread into other places of South-East Asia, such as Singapore.
- 1 Cut Fish into thick slices, wash and keep aside.
- 2 Cut Onion into fairly thick rounds, chop Ginger fine and slit green Chilieses.
- 3 Extract 1/2 cup of first Milk from Coconut and 2-1/2 cups of second Milk. Keep aside.
- 4 Chop Tomatos small, and keep 1/2 cup separately.
- 5 De-seed Red Chilies and grind Till smooth along with Garlic and Turmeric Powderr.
- 6 Grind Cashew Nut nuts separately Till smooth. Heat Oil and put in the Onion rounds and Ginger. Sauté Till Onion are transparent, but do not let them brown.
- 7 Add the green Chilieses and sauté for a minute more. Then add the Tomatos and the ground ingredients and Salt.
- 8 Sauté Till the Tomatos begin to turn pulpy. Pour in the second Coconut Milk and mix in the ground Cashew Nut nuts and Vinegar.
- 9 Stir Till gravy is well blended, check for Salt and gently drop in the Fish pieces.
- 10 Cover and cook over low flame Till Fish is done and gravy is thick.
- 11 Add a little more Water if gravy is too thick.
- 12 Drop in the reserved Tomato pieces and cook for 2 minutes.
- 13 Gradually add the first Milk and swirl the dish around Till it is well mixed.
- 14 Keep for just a minute longer on the fire and remove.
- 15 Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with a single sprig of mint.
- 16 Serve with plain Rice or thickly sliced fresh Bread.